Friday, July 10, 2015

Finishing Our Garage: Episode 1

Garage picture before
I am sure this post will turn into its own little series, because there are so many steps we have to take before it is fully complete.

Let me welcome you to the garage: a place that will be mostly used to house a car or two...but someone (quietly raising my hand)  wanted this space to be an extension of the home.  The best way we thought to make this happen is by adding some life to it with a little color and some cool finishes.  Don't get me wrong...it's still a garage and as much as I am a perfectionist, I will turn my eye to some things. Basically, our garage will be perfectly imperfect!  Over the next few weeks (maybe even months), we will be adding a little here and there until we are all done!




Here is a current list of "things to do":
  • Finishing the walls
  • Finishing the floors
  • Painting the garage walls
  • Adding a pop of color (red)
  • Changing the standard lights to recessed lights
  • Changing the light switch
  • Adding a nightlight to the light switch 
  • Installing some shelving/storage system
  • Adding a garage slop sink
  • Adding durable floor molding 
Our neighbors are so awesome!  They always seem to come by in the midst of us working.  It gives us a moment to not only meet new neighbors (even though we're all sweaty), but to also share details about our garage.  We love sharing info with people so it's a win for all!  Hopefully, they can learn from our mishaps and save the time and effort.  Be sure to check back periodically for all things garage!  

Question for you all: how do you feel about that ugly foam insulation in the garage between the drywall and concrete?  Does this bother you as much as it bothers me?  It's not the end of the world, but it's just so unappealing, yet necessary!  Operation cover-that-stuff-up starting soon!  LOL   

Garage foam insulation

xoxo

10 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your garage come together! Please post what you find out for hiding that insulation too. I also want to finish our garage some or at least the walls so it'll be more of an extension of the house. Plus since we only have one car I have a vision to put our foosball table in there and make it into a hang out space off of our rec room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet Mary! Instead of waiting until everything is finished, I will post as we go through the process (so it's not one huge post for your reading eyes)!
      That would be super cool to have as a multi-functioning space for hanging out and extending the rec room!
      Stay tuned...I will post more over the weekend!

      Delete
  2. I will be looking forward to this "series". Are you going to epoxy your garage floor? I have been obsessed with prettying up our garage ever since I saw someone paint her door a pretty red color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ebbie! Yes, we will be DIYing the floor with Epoxy...at least that is the plan! LOL We have never done anything like that so it should be a good time!
      It such a fun space to play with. Even if you don't prefer color in your home, you could add some vibrant colors in the garage and not feel like "it doesn't match" with the rest of the home!

      Delete
    2. Good call! I'm wondering if maybe we can epoxy the floor before we moved in. In our last house, we (I) accidentally wasted an entire container of peanut oil all over our garage floor when we (I) accidentally knocked over our turkey fryer. It haunted me almost DAILY. So yes, epoxy is a must!
      Idk if I can talk my husband into painting the walls though, he's already giving me a hard time about painting closets and the laundry room!

      Delete
    3. LOL...this really had me LOLing! The "we" and "I"! HAHAHA

      There are many different kinds out there and so far the ones at the Home Depot's will not be an option based on our research. Be sure to ask around before you purchase one! I thought I had it figured out...just go to the store and get the stuff and BAM! Long story short, the cheaper ones will be destroyed by the heat of car tires...it will basically peel up. Sorry if you already knew this...I had no idea so just sharing.

      I hope you blog about your home! I would love to see what you come up with and your husband's reactions! LOL Perhaps you can "bargain" for your closets and laundry room! Keep me posted!
      Have a great rest of the weekend!!!

      Delete
    4. Hey Eboni,

      (BTW, we have the same name, same spelling and everything, so I freak out and confuse myself whenever I see something written by you! haha)

      Anyway. I had no idea about the quality of epoxy great. Wonderful, something else to research within an inch of my computer's life and obsess over! But peeling floors? No ma'am, that sounds nightmarish!
      Did you read any online reviews or did you talk to someone at Home Depot about it? I was thinking about going to a paint store, but I'm not sure if there are any in this area.

      I've started blogging! Only a few entries but I'm trying to stay committed to it and blog when I can. Looks a little sloppy, so I'm going to spend next week giving it a face lift and a nip/tuck here and there. Hope you read it!

      Delete
    5. Hey Eboni,

      (BTW, we have the same name, same spelling and everything, so I freak out and confuse myself whenever I see something written by you! haha)

      Anyway. I had no idea about the quality of epoxy great. Wonderful, something else to research within an inch of my computer's life and obsess over! But peeling floors? No ma'am, that sounds nightmarish!
      Did you read any online reviews or did you talk to someone at Home Depot about it? I was thinking about going to a paint store, but I'm not sure if there are any in this area.

      I've started blogging! Only a few entries but I'm trying to stay committed to it and blog when I can. Looks a little sloppy, so I'm going to spend next week giving it a face lift and a nip/tuck here and there. Hope you read it!

      Delete
    6. HAHAHA! So awesome! It's hard to find other "Eboni's"!
      As far as the Epoxy, we actually found great info on a garage enthusiast forum. Home Depot was surely going to sell us one of their kits. I am happy we decided to wait! Check out http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/. There is some great stuff on there!!! We did not try a paint store, but you can never have too much info before making such an investment.

      I have officially started following your blog! I am so excited to see it come together! I will surely be reading!!!

      Delete
  3. I've found that the most "Ebonis" and "Ebonies" are 70s/80s babies. lol Our parents just HAD to be unique, right? lol

    I'm going to check out the link, thanks! We honestly had not planned on doing it ourselves, but I think we just might. We will probably have a few days of overlapping between the closing and when our household goods are delivered, so we can definitely take advantage of having an empty garage and empty house post closing.

    ReplyDelete